Applesauce Salad is a recipe that my mother found many years ago when my brother and I were little. I doubt she even remembers where she found it. To be honest I have a hard time calling it Applesauce Salad because as kids we dubbed it Green Jello, and the name stuck. In fact I didn’t even know the official name wasn’t Green Jello until mom gave me the written down recipe.
This seems to be one of those foods that you either love or hate. For the most part it’s a hit with our family, but not everyone cares for it. My brother and I have always loved it though, and Nick inhales it. What I’ve found over the years is that the look is a little odd for some people, so they won’t even try it, but I’m here to tell you it’s really yummy.
One of the great things about it is that it’s really easy to make. It only requires three ingredients and it only takes about five to ten minutes to make. You can’t eat it right away though because it needs time to settle in the fridge due to the Jello. You also can easily modify the recipe to change things up a bit too. The original recipe is for a lemon-lime flavor, but we’ve made it orange with orange jello and pop, and you could probably do a cherry flavor with the jello and a red pop. You can also make this diabetic friendly by using unsweetened applesauce, sugar free Jello, and diet pop. We do that all the time for our family and it doesn’t change the taste at all.
- 1 Large jar of applesauce
- 1 Large box of lime jello
- 2 Cups of a lemon-lime flavored pop
- Heat applesauce on stove top until boiling.
- Once boiling stir in the box of Jello.
- SLOWLY add in the pop. The applesauce will bubble when you add the pop. If you pour it in all at once it will bubble over and you'll have a big mess.
- Pour into a large bowl and place in the fridge for at least 5 hours.