One day, many years ago while visiting Walt Disney World, we had lunch at The Columbia Harbor House in the Magic Kingdom. They had changed their menu since the last time we had been there and my favorite item was gone, so I had to pick something else. I ended up getting a BLT Salad and it was amazing! Fast forward to a hot summer day some time later. We were living in our townhouse and at the time we didn’t have any air conditioning. It was so hot that I didn’t want to cook, or at least not much, and I felt like a salad. I didn’t want a tiny side salad though that wasn’t going to fill me. I ended up getting the idea to recreate the BLT Salad that I had previously eaten, and just like that one of our favorite summer meals was born. I have sense had the BLT Salad on return trips and personally, as much as I love the one in Disney, I actually think mine is better. It turns out that the BLT Salad is no longer on the menu at The Columbia Harbor House, so I’m glad I can still eat it when I want at home.
We love this meal. It truly is a staple in our summer menu. It requires little cooking, so it’s great for really hot days. The only thing you’ll have to do is boil eggs and cook the chicken. You may want to cook the bacon, but we prefer to use the precooked kind. I always make sure that I boil the eggs in the morning when it is still cool out so it doesn’t add a lot of heat to the house. I don’t want really hot chicken when we eat (this is a hot food meal, so I don’t want it to heat me up), so I usually make sure the chicken is done cooking about ten minutes before we plan on eating. The chicken only needs about 15 minutes in the oven though, so it doesn’t warm the house up too much.
Now I have to admit that this is a
- Lettuce - to fill up a bowl or plate (use the type you like best)
- 5 Chicken Nuggets (I prefer the small Banquet Tenders for sizing purposes)
- 1 Small Tomato
- 2 Hard Boiled Eggs
- 4 Pieces of Bacon (we use precooked kind)
- ⅓ Cup Shredded Cheese (any flavor you like)
- Salad Dressing (any flavor you like)
- Boil eggs a few hours ahead of time so they have time to cool
- Cook chicken nuggets - follow directions on packaging. When done place them on a plate and give them a few minutes to cool.
- Warm bacon up in the microwave
- Rip up lettuce and place it in your bowl or on a plate
- Chop up chicken (cut into three pieces), eggs, and tomato and place them on the lettuce
- Crumble the bacon over the salad
- Sprinkle cheese on top of salad
- Top with your choice of salad dressing