I admit I’m not the biggest pie fan. On the other hand most of my family
really likes loves pie, so I’m a bit of a freak to them. There are some pies that I really do like though and one of them is Banana Cream Pie. The problem is that it’s a huge egg allergy no-no, so I haven’t had one in a few years. You may remember a few months back when I had all of those ripe bananas from work. When I started to think about what to do with them the first thing I thought about was making a banana cream pie. Of course while Nick is now able to eat baked goods I didn’t think a Banana Cream Pie would be all that safe, but I really wanted to make the pie, so I decided it was time for a new egg free recipe!
This recipe is very easy. To be honest it’s more of pudding pie, but with food allergies you sometimes have to get very creative. Now I decided to use chocolate pudding to make the cake. Normally you would use vanilla pudding for a banana cream pie, but I’m not a big vanilla fan, so I figured if I wasn’t going to make it the traditional way then I was going to go with chocolate. You can make it either way though. If you would prefer vanilla than just buy the same boxes of vanilla pudding instead of chocolate.
I will say that the chocolate version is really good, although quite rich. We all loved it. Nick may have liked it more than anyone else. He couldn’t get enough of it.
- 1 Pie Crust
- 2-3 Bananas
- 1 Large Box of Chocolate Pudding
- 1 Small Box of Chocolate Pudding
- Milk (use amount specified on pudding boxes)
- 1 Tub Cool Whip
- Make pie crust (or roll out a refrigerated one like I did), bake it, and let it cool.
- Slice the bananas and lay them on the bottom of the crust. You want them to be as close together as you can get them and you should have two layers of them.
- Follow the instructions on the pudding boxes to make the pudding. I combined both the boxes and the ingredients together.
- Pour the pudding mixture on top of the bananas.
- Put the pie in the refrigerator to set for a few hours. Leaving it overnight is best.
- When it's time to serve the pie top the slices with Cool Whip.