Can you believe that Christmas is almost here? When I realized that the other day I also realized how soon I was going to be taking the tree down! Yes, I’m one of the crazy people that decorates early. I love to enjoy my tree the whole season, but when the holiday is done so am I. As soon as it’s over I take everything down. No Twelfth Night for me! The taking down of the decorations means taking down and storing away all of the Christmas lights. Nick and I both go crazy over Christmas lights, so we have a lot. What I don’t like is how tangled up they can get when you store them. I swear they come alive and move around during those 11 months that they’re in the storage tubs. Is there anything more frustrating than when you go to get your lights out and they are in a huge knotty mess? How much time do you waste trying to untangle them? It’s truly a Christmas headache. Thank goodness quite a few years ago I learned the secret of how to store Christmas lights, and the only thing you need is already in your house!
The secret item you need to store Christmas lights is a paper towel tube. That’s it! I told you that you already had it in your house. A lot of times during the months leading up to Christmas I’ll make sure to save my paper towel tubes for storing Christmas lights, but I forgot to this year! We bought new strands of lights this year too, so I really needed to save the tubes to store Christmas lights!
Since I knew I needed a lot of paper towel rolls for storing Christmas lights I made a stop at my local Dollar General on the way home from work one day. Did you know that you can get digital Dollar General coupons that you can use when you shop there? It’s true! You can save a lot of money when you take advantage of them! I was able to get a great deal on a package of Scott® Choose-A-Sheet Paper Towel Mega Roll 6 Pack. I’m totally set for storing all of our Christmas lights now! Plus having Scott® paper towels around during the holidays doesn’t hurt any because with their unique ridges they quickly and effectively absorb messes leaving surfaces clean and dry. Of course while I was there I picked up a package of Scott® Extra Soft Bath Tissue Mega Roll 4 Pack as well because who can pass up a good deal?
How to Store Christmas Lights
1. First you need to save your leftover paper towel tubes.
2. When you’re ready to store the lights cut a slit at one end of the paper towel tube.
3. Slide one end of the light strand into the slit with the plug on the inside of the tube. Tip – Insert the side of the lights that is the extra plug. That way when you take them out next year you can easily check to see if the lights still work, and you can unwind them from the tube to keep them from getting in a mess as you put them up!
4. Start to roll the lights around the outside of the tube and continue to do so until all of the lights are wound up. Then take the plug and tuck it into the top roll to keep the lights from coming unwound.
That’s all you have to do! This won’t hurt the lights any and it will make getting them out next year a much easier process!
How to Save On Scott Products at Dollar General
Paper products can get expensive, but you can save on them this holiday season with Dollar General just like I did. Here’s how to do it:
1. Sign up at or visit the DG App
2. Create account and load which SCOTT® coupons you would like to load
3. Visit your local Dollar General to redeem coupons at checkout. Find a Dollar General near you by using the store locator
Here are some digital coupons that you can use now through December 31:
Save $1.00 off any (1) SCOTT® Paper Towels
Save $0.50 off any (1) SCOTT® Extra Soft Bath Tissue
Save $1.00 off any (1) SCOTT® 1000 Bath Tissue
As an added bonus you can find 3 special SCOTT® Bonus Packs in-store now through the end of February 2016.
• SCOTT® 1000 Bath Tissue, 16 pack (2 Free Rolls)
• SCOTT® Choose-A-Sheet Paper Towels, Mega Roll 6 Pack (Bonus 15% Sheets)
• SCOTT® Extra Soft Bath Tissue, Double Roll 16 pack (2 Free Rolls)